Monday, June 3, 2013

"I Should be Celebrating"- Nashville 1X21

Juliette

For most of the season I feel like the writers haven't known what to do with Juliette. She has storylines that start and stop and only in the past few episodes have we been able to see a progressive storyline that sticks. With the death of her mother, I think that the storyline of her writing new music will return fuelled by the pain of losing her mother. This may be my favorite Juliette episode, and it really showcased Hayden Panatierre's talents. Her song at the end was wonderful, and I LOVED the conversation between her and Rayna. This scene was where I thought the show was going; eventually the two would become good friends. This was a step in that direction.


I'm also interested in Juliette and Avery's potential relationship. I really like couples that are made of two kind of terrible people who redeem each other, and I think Avery and Juliette would be able to do that with each other. Also, Juliette needs someone who is screwed up as her. Her husband was just a little too nice. I felt like Juliette pretended to be a very wholesome person with him, and with Avery she can just be fucked up.
Female friendships for the win.


Deacon, Teddy, Rayna, etc.

For the entire season I have been unable to comprehend how and why Rayna chose Teddy. Deacon has been portrayed as a good man who happens to have an addiction. Very little references what that addiction entailed. However, this episode I finally get it. A little bit. Deacon's attack on Teddy showcased the violence and anger that is drunk Deacon. Hopefully next season we will be able to explore his addiction, because the writers have been handling his and Juliette's mother's addictions with aplomb.
Sad for Deacon's addiction. Sadder he didn't get a really good punch in.


 I wasn't a fan of how Rayna and Teddy handled their daughter's parentage situation. There was too much yelling, I think they should have had a calm discussion instead of yelling. I hope next season they explore the family relationship a little more, especially between Rayna and her daughters. I understand that Deacon is upset about Rayna not telling him he was a father. I more annoyed with Teddy, who made sure Rayna kept it from him. Can Rayna and Deacon fix their relationship? And their bodies, because car crash.

The second they got in this car, it was going to crash



Gunnar and Scarlett

Gunnar. What. What are you doing. Calling Juliette when you went to go see Deacon, that was nice. That was good boyfriend stuff. But proposing??!! A proposal is not a solution. I really like Gunnar, and I want him to figure his shit out, but come on. Fix yourself before you try to fix your relationship.
Gunnar. What.



Other Notes:

  • Of course there's an unplanned pregnancy. And of course it's Peggy.
  • I really hope Tandi takes down her father because he is an ass. And Tandi' awesome. The end.
  • Really excited for Will's forthcoming storylines that the show has been hinting about. I loved the scene at the club at the end
  • Speaking of, not only was Juliette's song great, but having it played over the last few defining moments of the season was great editing.
  • Damsels in Discussion's podcast here is awesome about this episode. And they cover Game of Thrones and Mad Men, so spoilers for that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment