Saturday, June 29, 2013

Don't Behead Me, I'm Behind-Game of Thrones 2X01

A few thoughts about season 1 before I begin:

  • DRAGONS!!
  • I knew Ned Stark was going to die and it was still rather horrifying to watch
  • I really don't understand all the Sansa hate. I know that masculinity is valued over femininity, ergo Arya is more liked than Sansa, but really?! Sansa at 14 years of age has to beg for her father's life in front of the court and her fiancĂ©, then watch her fiancĂ© go back on his word and behead her father. THEN he makes her look at her father's head on a stick and listen to him call her father a traitor and enter into an incredibly abusive relationship with Joffrey. Also, Arya has escaped, so she's alone in this. AND she had to listen to Joffrey say the phrase: "Once you have your first blood, then I'll put a son in you" which is just barf-worthy (Joffrey's such a romantic). I'm now judging everyone who doesn't like Sansa so hard. 
  • Half of me loves Dany and half of me is side-eyeing the white savior-ness and rape apologist-ness of her storylines. But, dragons
  • I like how Arya and Sansa each have a path that reflects their character. Sansa is doing her duty by marrying Joffrey and denouncing her father, while Arya is literally being a boy in order to escape. Talk about gender roles.
  • Have I mentioned the dragons?
Now on to season 2. Now, I know that everyone and their brother watches this show (even my brother does) so I do know some spoilers. However, please, please don't spoil me. I know some things, but not everything, and I would like to keep it that way.

Dany

Dragons!!!! (side-note, the dragons make a similar noise to that of the clicker in The Last of Us, so that was a little creepy).


But in all seriousness, I don't know how they're going to make it out of this. They are literally in the middle of the desert with nothing. 

Sansa

Man, poor Sansa. She's just trying to survive and she's stuck with Joffrey, who I sincerely hope dies a long and painful death at some point in the series. On top of that, I hope he's killed by a woman. In a perfect world it would be Sansa herself.



Catelyn/Robb

I weirdly like this mother/son war-raging duo. Although the deal they made at the end of last season was less that optimal, the two seem to be doing okay. Also, Robb (and his wolf) threatening Jamie was the best.

Okay, I will admit I know a few spoilers. Like I totally know what happens at the Red Wedding. Or what Jamie does for the most of the 3rd season. And some of these storylines are starting to show the hows and whys of what will happen. So I'm not really spoiled? Which is good, because I was worried it might ruin the series for me.


Bran

Poor Bran. His dad is dead, his siblings and his mother have left, he's paralysed, and now he has to run Winterfell at like 8 years old. I really hope his life gets better (I know, I know, I know. It's not.) 

Tyrion

I'm starting to understand why people like Tyrion. He manages to say some awesome stuff, like his comment about Ned being Sansa father despite also being a traitor, and then he sasses everyone throughout the entire episode. I think he will do well as the Hand, mostly because I think Joffrey is scared of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment