Thursday, May 16, 2013

One Drink at a Time-Nashville 1X18

I'm prefacing this post with a disclaimer. This post may sound like I hate Nashville. I don't, it is the only new show this year that I continued watching. I think the acting is great and Callie Khouri made one of my favorite movies (Thelma and Louise). But it has been a long week and I'm in a snarky mood. Also, I think there are things to improve for next season. But I promise, I really do like this show.

Juliette
Today on Nashville, Juliette yells at her mom all while trying to climb the professional ladder in the world of country music. Just like every episode. Yay.
And I thought I loved champagne

Okay, I think the writers don't really know what to do with her. They had a really good storyline in her changing her music style, but that kind of fell away. Every once and awhile they mention it, but I'm interested in how changing her musical style will effect how she's marketing herself and what it's like for an artist to change themselves. Usually they are met with criticism; fans usually want people to stay the same. But they don't There was also the interesting storyline of her mother, and they tried to do something with it, but it has now turned into Juliette being angry at her mother all the time and not moving forward. In this episode they did touch on the genetics involved in alcoholism and that Juliette could be an alcoholic, so I hope they explore that. Mainly, I want to see some character growth with Juliette that sticks. Next season? One can only hope.


Deacon and Rayna
All the happy feels

Finally! Okay, it wasn't that long. But there was too much sexual tension for this to be dragged out for years. But Rayna has to tell him that he has a daughter and I think Teddy is really shitty for forbidding her to tell him. But she really doesn't have to listen to him and I honestly don't think she will. It will be perfect bliss for the next few episodes and the finale will be her finally telling him and him being FUCKING pissed. Maybe he'll punch Teddy? Come on writers, someone has to punch Teddy.


Teddy
Please go away. Forever.
That's really all I have to say about you. Why did Rayna marry you again?

Gunnar and Scarlett...and Will
I have a very complicated relationship with Gunnar. Half the time I like him and half the time I hate him. And right now, I hate him. It is 2013, get over the fact that Will tried to kiss you. Scarlett, go find someone else. I'm excited to see Scarlett actually going to do more things and possibly tour next season. She is a character than I think the series will be able to grow well and represent a more folk-y side to country than Rayna and Juliette.
I feel like there's a Three's Company joke in here somewhere...

Will has suddenly become an interesting character with this new revelation. At first I thought he was your stereotypical douche-y country frat boy who tries to kill himself every once and awhile. But the revelation of his sexuality has added a new dimension to his character. Country music has a persona of being very heteronormative and anti-alternative masculinities. I'm choosing to use heteronormative rather than homophobic because it is not anti-gay outright, rather it just assumes everyone to be straight. One of my criticisms of many country hits is that they are very general. Many genres do that, but country music has a lot of songs that talk about southern/country boys and girls and what they do. I'm not saying that every country artist is homophobic or anti-gay, but the area that influences this genre has a tendency to be very conservative and very homophobic. But they also are anti-alternative masculinities  This includes gay men, but there are songs make fun of men who dress well, or just dress differently than jeans and cowboy boots. So for Nashville to have a gay character, especially one that does not follow major gay stereotypes, is fascinating. I really want them to explore this character more and follow the difficulties of being gay in Nashville and I think this could be their most interesting storyline to date.


What are your predictions for the rest of the season? Will Rayna spill about her daughter's true parentage? Will I ever stop hating Teddy (probably not)?


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for doing this review! I agree with you on hating Gunnar currently and wanting Scarlett to branch out because she has so much potential. Hope there's a follow-up on the finale!

    ReplyDelete